Dockyard Terrace
Navigate Up
Sign In

Dockyard Terrace


Location: Dockyard, Isla
 
​The Dockyard Terrace was built in the 1550s during the magistracy of Grand Master Fra Claude de La Sengle to serve as a residence. During the British period (1800-1964) this 4-level building served as an army barracks before being handed over to the navy, becoming part of the Royal Naval Dockyard hence their current name. During this period, access to the Dockyard Terrace was limited with an arched gate on the promenade and a pontoon for the direct access of the commander coming from the headquarters at Fort St. Angelo.
 
Id-Dockyard Terrace ġie mibni fis-snin 1550 matul il-maġistratura tal-Gran Mastru Fra Claude de La Sengle biex iservi bħala residenza. Matul il-perjodu Ingliż (1800-1964) dan il-bini li hu mifrux fuq 4 sulari serva bħala kwartieri tal-armata qabel ma ngħata lill-flotta Ingliża u sar parti mir-Royal Naval Dockyard minn fejn ħa l-isem attwali tiegħu. Matul dan il-perjodu, l-aċċess għat-Tarzna kien limitat b’bieb b’arkata fix-xatt u pontun għall-aċċess dirett tal-kmandant li jkun ġej mill-kwartieri ġenerali fil-Forti Sant’Anġlu.