St. Julian's Church
Navigate Up
Sign In

St. Julian's Church


Location: San Giljan, Isla

​​
In 1311, St Julian’s church and its cemetery were founded. The church is dedicated to St Julian who is the patron saint of hospitality and chase. It is located a few metres above sea level, and is believed to be the first building to be built in Senglea. The church was one of the buildings owned by feudal lords that was later passed on to the Order of St John. The population of Senglea rapidly increased therefore they started a petition to have a priest assigned to St. Julian’s church. Their wish was granted, and St. Julian’s church became a vice-parish church of Vittoriosa whilst Don Erasmus Balzan was the first vice-parish priest of St. Julian’s church. This was the first time that a church was given a title in the Maltese diocese. Following, the creation of the Parish church, St Julian’s church became one of the very first schools in Malta. In 1699, a decision was taken to demolish and rebuild the St Julian’s church. The design and plans of the new church were commissioned by Lorenzo Gafà and the building was completed in 1712. The church has a Doric style and is surmounted with an elliptical dome and stone lanterns with window lights. In 1821, the painter Giovanni Baptista Bonomo painted the titular image of St Julian’s which is still found in the church till the present day. In 2021, St Julian’s church was restored. In collaboration with Kottonera Foundation.
 
Fl-1311, twaqqfet il-knisja ta’ San Ġiljan u ċ-ċimiterju ta’ magħha. Il-knisja hija ddedikata lil San Ġiljan li huwa l-patrun tal-kaċċaturi. Il-knisja tinsab ftit metri 'l fuq mil-livell tal-baħar, u huwa maħsub li kienet l-ewwel binja li nbniet fl-Isla. Kienet waħda mill-bini li kellu sidien fewdali li aktar tard ġiet mgħoddija lill-Ordni ta’ San Ġwann. Il-popolazzjoni tal-Isla żdiedet fi żmien qasir għalhekk in-nies bdew petizzjoni biex ikun hemm qassis assenjat lil knisja ta’ San Ġiljan. Ix-xewqa tagħhom ġiet milqugħa, u l-knisja ta’ San Ġiljan saret viċi-knisja parrokkjali tal-Birgu waqt li Dun Erasmus Balzan kien l-ewwel viċi-kappillan tal-knisja ta’ San Ġiljan. Din kienet l-ewwel darba li knisja ngħatat titlu fid-djoċesi Maltija. Wara l-ħolqien tal-knisja Parrokkjali, il-knisja ta’ San Ġiljan saret waħda mill-ewwel skejjel f’Malta. Fl-1699, ittieħdet deċiżjoni biex titwaqqa’ u tinbena mill-ġdid il-knisja ta’ San Ġiljan. Id-disinn u l-pjanta tal-knisja l-ġdida ġew ikkummissjonati minn Lorenzo Gafà u l-bini tlesta fl-1712. Il-knisja għandha stil doriku u hija komposta b’koppla ellittika u fanali tal-ġebel bid-dwal mat-twieqi. Fl-1821, il-pittur Giovanni Baptista Bonomo pitter l-immaġni titulari ta’ San Ġiljan li għadha tinstab fil-knisja sal-ġurnata tal-lum. Fl-2021 il-knisja ta’ San Ġiljan ġiet irrestawrata. B’kollaborazzjoni mal-Fondazzjoni Kottonera.