Navigate Up
Sign In

Hompesch Gate

​ 

​​The Hompesch Gate, was built in 1801, on the initiative of the people of Żabbar to honour Grand Master John Ferdinand Von Hompesch zu Bolheim who, in 1797, had declared Żabbar a city giving it the title of Citta Gratiosae Hompesch. The Gate, consisting of a single arched opening and it is built in the neoclassical style. Its East and West elevations are given different architectural treatments. A complete documentation exercise was carried out in order to ascertain and record the condition of the monument and list the required interventions. All superfluous metal fixtures and wiring will be carefully removed; the stone surface will then be superficially cleaned. Cement based pointing will be carefully removed and new pointing applied. Poulticing will be applied to areas of persistent black crust. Stone replacement will be done only where necessary using stones that have the same dimensions and configuration as the stones being replaced. Finally a velatura consisting of a lime-based pigmented wash will be applied to the restored stonework to ensure overall visual uniformity. The image of Our Lady of Graces, inserted beneath the pediment on the East facing elevation, will be retained as it now forms part of the historical fabric of the Gate.

​